UPDATE Lauderdale House project completed
Some interesting side-by-side images of our recently completed project at Lauderdale House in Highgate, alongside our original CGI model.
The practice was invited to submit ideas for the refurbishment of Lauderdale House, a Grade II* Listed Building set in the grounds of Waterlow Park on Highgate Hill. It was originally built in 1582 as a timber-framed house and has since been substantially altered by its successive owners, notably in 1760 when the original structure was extended with a portico towards the park and the exterior was given a classical treatment. More recently it has functioned as a community and educational centre.
Conceived as a heritage project to complete restoration after a fire in 1963, one of our aims was to improve the functionality of the building, which also caters for private events as well as providing facilities to the adjoining Waterlow Park.
Like many historic properties the entrance to the house led directly into one of the function spaces preventing simultaneous use of other parts and thus reducing income potential. The solution was a new secondary entrance and alterations to circulation to enable the main spaces to be accessible by alternative routes. The crude extension built in the 1970's was demolished and a wing added incorporating the new entry, an Education Centre and improved visitor facilities at the heart of the building. Additionally the first floor Upper Gallery was finally refurbished and the building reopened in December 2016 to much acclaim.
Haines Phillips Architects achieved Planning and Listed Building Consents in 2012 and the project was awarded a grant of £800,000 towards the construction costs by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Construction work commenced in late 2015 and was completed in December 2016.
Additional images and project details can be seen on the dedicated project page here.
Building photographs by Jefferson SmithSave this page as a PDF